Monday, August 10, 2015

Mission Newsletter

Work, Work, Work
Ukraine Kyiv Mission
10 Aug 2015
Quote: Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” Galatians 6:7-9
Elders and Sisters,
Work, Work, Work
When I was a boy my Father would always talk about the need for me to learn how to work. I never quite understood what that meant. I thought you just work when you have to. Consistent with his concern, he began to teach me how to work starting with the summer I turned 10 years old. He was a building contractor so the kind of “work” I learned to do was related to construction. He started out by teaching me to use carpentry tools on remodel jobs. It was interesting and fun to work with him and to be taught how to do relatively easy jobs for $.10 an hour. As his business grew, I continued to work every summer until I was 16, however, the jobs changed. I had to do what needed to be done rather than what was fun and easy--like digging foundations by hand with a shovel, helping to pour concrete and backfilling basements by hand in very rocky ground. What started out to be fun and interesting at age 10, became very hard physical work. During these years I started to appreciate what he meant when he said, you have to learn how to work. Digging a ditch, by myself, for 100 feet, requires mental as well as physical strength. In the beginning, the task seemed overwhelming and very discouraging. In essence, I didn’t want to do it and was slightly put out that the owner of the company, my father, would ask me to do such a hard job. Once I pushed through the resentment, I soon learned that you had to pick shorter term and quality goals: dig a perfect trench for five feet, and then dig another perfect trench for another five feet. In so doing, there comes a sense of
pride and satisfaction that comes from doing a job well which provides encouragement and inner strength to keep going. When I was called to serve a mission to Scotland in 1961, I had been a member of the Church for only three years. While in the mission home in Salt Lake City, I realized that I did not know as much as other missionaries who had been raised in the Church, but I knew three things for sure: I had felt the Spirit of the Holy Ghost, I knew the Gospel was true and I wanted to share it. I could do hard things and I knew how to work. Whatever I had to do, I could do it. After all, I dug trenches, backfilled basements and hauled concrete. I learned quickly what the missionary rules were and followed them precisely. I immersed myself in learning the memorized six required lessons in a few short weeks. And I worked every single day of my mission, with the concern that I had to make the most of it, because I would not have a chance to redo that day. I did not want to look back on this experience and wish I had done better. I did not want to look back on my mission and feel that I could have done better. President David B. Haight had to look for me in the mission home to release me because I did not want to go home.
President Benson said, “One of the greatest secrets of missionary work is work. If a missionary works, he will get the Spirit; if he gets the Spirit, he will teach by the Spirit; if he teaches by the Spirit, he will touch the hearts of the people, and he will be happy...Work, work, work---there is no satisfactory substitute, especially in missionary work.”
Elders and Sisters, Sister McCauley and I have had the privilege of traveling all around Ukraine to visit the 45 Branches of the Church and teach Priesthood Leaders on issues relating to the importance of sacred funds. At the same time, we have had the special opportunity to meet missionaries from all three missions in Ukraine. We have felt your remarkable spirit of dedication and commitment. Many of you, and others who have preceded you, have helped us in thoughtful, but remarkable ways with our specific calling. Your spirits and service have touched our lives. We know that as you work, work, work, you will overcome whatever individual challenge you may face, you will get the spirit and accomplish your purpose. It’s a promise.
Our love for you and the wonderful people of Ukraine, has changed our lives. Elder and Sister McCauley 

No comments:

Post a Comment