Monday, July 6, 2015

only an ice cream cone

Only An Ice Cream Cone

There is a man we pass by every day who sits on a curb on the sidewalk.  He is usually alone, most often smoking a cigarette.  He has trouble speaking a little but and has some deformities.  Sister Fedas told me not to talk to him so for many weeks I only said, “Hello,” And we walked on.  As time went on I decided to ask him about God.  The next time I shared a message about Christ and tried to give him a Book of Mormon, but he cannot read well anymore.  Once as we passed he asked me for money and I was sad because I cannot give this poor man money for more cigarettes.  We continued passing him to and fro every day, always smiling and saying hello. 

And a few days ago my new companions and I were walking home in the hot sun.  I had purchased 2 ice creams because I am cool like that. J I was eating one and saving one for later.  Up ahead I saw this man sitting on the curb and immediately pulled out my second ice cream because I had 2!   I thought, it is a hot summer day, he has nothing and I have an ice cream just sitting in my bag!! As I walked toward him with the ice cream outstretched in my hand he lit up.  He was like a little boy on Christmas!  I almost choked up because it was such a small thing that evoked so much joy in him.  It was only a cold ice cream, but this man was absolutely beaming.  He thanked me and we walked on.  I couldn’t help but feel God smiling down at this man – His beloved child who has been dealt a hard life – holding a cold ice cream in his hand so completely happy. 

I think this moment will change me completely.  We can make such an impact and difference in the lives of all we meet as we think about Christ and try to do as He would do.  My heart almost burst in this one small moment – only an ice cream cone – but it meant the world to this man.  I know the Savior, Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father love this man.  Its one of those moments I will never forget.  We passed him again last night and he gave me a book of Ukrainian poems he wrote for children in 1977.  He is such a sweet little guy. 




Kylies Journal from the week:
  
      

Our investigator

My two cute Ukrainian companions wanted to celebrate for America on July 4 :D So we did. And then we handed out 3 books of mormon in 5 minutes. then 3 more later. SAY WHAT?!?!?!








No comments:

Post a Comment